PADI OWSI to Freediver Instructor
PADI OWSI TO FREEDIVER INSTRUCTOR CROSSOVER COURSE
If you are a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor you can become a freediving instructor in this 12-13 day PADI OWSI to Freediver Instructor Crossover Course.
As required by PADI (since January 2019) you will complete the PADI Freediver Course, PADI Advanced Freediver Course and the PADI Freediver Instructor Course. This program includes all three courses as well as coaching in and out of the water throughout the 12-13 days.
Are you already a PADI Advanced Freediver (or equivalent)? Then you can go right into the PADI Freediver Instructor Course!
Scuba diving and freediving are very different activities that require specific skills. Of course, it’s much easier to start freediving if you have good experience in scuba diving because you are much more comfortable in the water. However, when it comes to teaching freediving, you will feel much more confident when you’re able to demonstrate a certain level of mastery in your freediving techniques and abilities.
As for every sport, the more you practice, the more experience you will gain and the better you will become.
There is a particular set of skills which is essential for every freediving instructor. Your body and mind will require training in various conditions, disciplines and situations to reach your targets and to be able to supervise others in a safe way.
Teaching freediving can sometimes be physically and mentally challenging. Body adaptation to this new activity is something that isn’t developed in just a few days.
So, I’ve created this crossover course to support, motivate and guide PADI Scuba Instructors who would like to expand their world with freediving and offer PADI Freediver Courses and freediving experiences to their students.
During these 12-13 days, you will enroll in the PADI Freediver Course, PADI Advanced Freediver Course, as well as the 6 day PADI Freediver Instructor Course and receive coaching in and out of the water with Renee Blundon, a competitive freediver, PADI Divemaster and PADI Freediver Instructor Trainer.
SCHEDULE & COURSES
- PADI Freediver Course – 2 Days
- Rest Day (optional)
- PADI Advanced Freediver Course – 3 Days
- Rest Day
- PADI Freediver Instructor Course – 6 Days
- Total Duration: 12 Days
- Be a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor
- Current Emergency First Response (CPR/first aid) Instructor
PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE COURSE
The performance requirements for the PADI Freediver Instructor Crossover Course are:
- Completing the PADI Freediver Course (or equivalent)
- Completing the PADI Advanced Freediver Course (or equivalent)
- Completing the PADI Freediver Instructor Course
- Passing the PADI Instructor Exam (75%)
- Make a static apnea of at least 2’30”
- Make a dynamic apnea of at least 50 meters
- Make a constant weight dive to at least -20 meters
- Correctly perform the rescue of a simulated blacked-out diver from -15 meters
MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT
For this program, you need to have the following materials and equipment:
- PADI Freediver Program Instructor Guide
- PADI Freediver Instructor Cue Cards
- PADI Freediver Touch
- PADI Freediver Quick Review
For the inwater segment of the Instructor Crossover Course, you need:
- Mask, snorkel and bifins appropriate for freediving
- Weight blet and weights
- Appropriate exposuer protection
- Safety lanyard and strap
- Freediving computer
- Whistles, flares, marine radio or other means for summoning aid at the surface
PADI OWSI to Freediver Instructor Crossover (12-13 days w/ 1-2 rest days): 1210€ / $1350 USD package price with instructor materials
Or with EFRI (+1 day): 1560€ / $1740 USD
The price includes:
- PADI Freediver Course (240€ value)
- PADI Advanced Freediver Course (275€ value)
- PADI Freediver Instructor Course with PADI Freediver Touch, PADI Instructor Guide and PADI Instructor Cue Cards (850€ value)
Personal freediving equipment is not included (i.e. wetsuit, mask, fins, snorkel, weight belt). Lead weights are provided.
The PADI Instructor Application Fee (approx. 82€) is not included. This can be paid directly to PADI when you submit your application.
ALREADY A CERTIFIED ADVANCED FREEDIVER?
If you’re already certified as a PADI Advanced Freediver (or equivalent), then as an OWSI you would just need to do the PADI Freediver Instructor Course 🙂